Many people prefer to hire car when they visit Ireland. Hiring a car means, you need not depend on any public transport, and also move freely to any destination at your own pace.
Renting car in Ireland is not too difficult however you need to keep in mind following few fundamental rules:
- If you are below the age of 21 years then you are not allowed to rent a car.
- Even if you are above 75 years, it will be difficult to get any car rental.
- Generally, car can be hired only through a credit card
- You can rent a car only if you possess a valid license that is valid since the last 12 months
- International drive’s license is not necessary
You may read more hiring car tips in Ireland in this small write up.
1. Which car you must choose
Unless you are travelling with a big family or a lot of bags, there is no need to hire a bigger car or SUVs. Any classic car will be good enough to meet your need on the road.
Not only you can save your fuel cost but also it will be easier for you to drive your car in some of the narrow roads of Ireland, which you will find at plenty of places in this country.
2. Which are the companies to choose for car rental
Though you can find many numbers of companies for car rental in Ireland, you must rely on those companies, which are internationally quite well known. Some of them are as follows:
You must remember that you have to pay certain additional surcharges in case you return the car after standard hours of returning. So, better pick up your car around 11 AM so that you can have time to return till you come back by 11 PM.
3. Car insurance for rental cars
As far as insurance is concerned, it is essential to buy insurance for the rental car. There are minimum insurance requirement and few add-ons and therefore, it is necessary that you must carry a credit card.
Before you go to the counter you must be familiarized with various insurance so that you can negotiate better.
a. Collision Damage Waiver
This is a basic insurance cover that you will need while driving in Ireland and the rental company will ask you to deposit little excess so that in accident case, if your basic CDW coverage is not adequate.
b. Super CDW
It will be complete insurance where your car will be fully covered and no additional deposit will be asked to deposit.
c. Car hire excess
This excess is actually a pre-authorization amount that is taken while renting and will be refunded if the vehicle suffered no damage. Usually refund may take three to five working days.
4. How to pay your car rental
All payments are realized by using credit card and therefore you must carry your credit card.
5. Hiring car without credit card
Usually most of the rental companies accept only credit cards. Though you can make payment by using debit cards, you will still need a credit card as a guarantee for any damage.
One solution can be if any of your co passenger has his or her credit card then both of you can drive and insurance will be in the name of that person holding credit card.
6. Few more tips
- While comparing various rental companies compare on the basis of total cost instead of basic cost.
- Always book in advance
- Before you leave the rental office check the condition of your car
- Prefer diesel car if you want to travel longer distance
- Prefer to return your car with fuel filled
- Always ask for receipt with status while returning the car.