Sawai Madhopur is the gateway to the great national park of India, Ranthambore National Park. Sawai Madhopur was ruled by different empires during different times and was gifted by Mughals to Amer rulers. The region of Sawai Madhopur has a rich history, which adds more beauty to the culture and heritage. However, tourism thrives for its beauty in nature genre.
Airport – Sawai Madhopur airport
Best time to visit – From November to end of March (overall tourism and birdwatching), May to June (wildlife spotting)
Distance from Delhi – 394 km
Top Attractions To Cover In Sawai Madhopur
- Ranthambore National Park – vast Park famous for spotting tigers, sloth bears, jackals, sambhar, wild boar, hyena, langur, and others. Spotting birds are also quite common. Best enjoyed during safari on jeeps or canter.
- Ranthambore fort – ruins of 1st Century fort located inside the park, famous for ramparts, gates and other architectural elements.
- Ganesh temple – A temple located inside the fort and it is said that the locals give the first marriage invitation to the deity of this temple, as a custom.
- Kameshwar Mahadev – This temple is located a little away from Sawai Madhopur and is famous for erotic carvings and ancient styled architecture.
- Bhuri Pahadi Gaon – 25 km away from Sawai Madhopur, famous for flocks of migrating flamingos.
Best Way To Reach Sawai Madhopur
The nearest airport is located inside Sawai Madhopur. However, the frequency of flights flying in and out of Sawai Madhopur is quite low. Thus, tourists usually fly up to Jaipur international airport and then travel the remaining 132 km via rail or road. The road can be bumpy and long, and thus taking a bus from the airport is not as recommended as the train. Any lifestyle blogger would tell you that it is more scenic on the train route, with many opportunities for photos.
The city is connected with numerous major cities, surrounding regions via train, buses, and cabs. Apart from normal interstate trains, you can find the super-fast train, Maharajas Express and other luxury trains. Have a look Maharajas Express photo gallery to know about why people choose this luxury train.
Cuisine Of The Land
Top dishes to try here are
- Rajasthan thali
- Churma ladoo
- Guava chutney
What To Buy In Sawai Madhopur?
Markets of the region are famous for Khasperfumes and handicrafts and décor items made with Khas.
Things To Do In Sawai Madhopur
- Jungle safari and bird watching at Ranthambore national park
- Trek to Chauth Mata temple
- Picnic at Surwal and enjoy the perfect sunrise view
- Drive to Khandar fort for a panoramic view of the structure and beauty
Festivals of Sawai Madhopur
- Ganesh Chaturthi fair of August – September
- Chauth Mata fair of January – February
- Shiv Ratri Fair of February
- Kalyanji fair of February
We trust you’ll have an unforgettable experience in India’s best tiger reserve. The Sawai Madhopur offers a rare glimpse at these wild animals and other exotic wildlife. Remember to take loads of photos, pack lightly and stick to designated trails within the reserve. Pick a month that best suits your travel needs and go enjoy a once in a lifetime opportunity.